Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
SKEA shade canopy is a roof-system consisting of laser-cut modules of wood and leather, that can be assembled by hand. The project was developed during the seminar Digitale Planung | Algorithmic Architecture lectured by Florian Geddert on summer semester 2012, master program Media Architecture, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
An 1:1 scale model of two modules of the roof-system was created by using the university’s laser-cutter.
The specifications of the project were the following:
- Sun-shading roof construction in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Proposed dimensions: 3.00 x 4.00 m.
- Materials: only leather and wood
- Tools: digital modeling and fabrication with Rhinoceros 3D and Grasshopper
- Each module should be produceable with 60x40cm Laser Cutter
- Assembled piece by piece by hand
Credits: Thitit Chuasomboon, Eleni Digidiki, Oscar Patarroyo